Shaam, Oh Shaam.
Our fourth Imaam, Oh you have answered (x2)
The most difficult time was in Shaam.
1) Oh grandfather what should we tell you of the hardships and cruelty we suffered
We were taken as displays in the streets, your family ill-treated and slandered
Oh grandfather if you could only witness how we were abused in Shaam.
2) The women and children tormented by the image of the heads on the spears
Their faces and heads were uncovered, their innocent faces in tears
Oh grandmother if you could only look at how we were helpless in Shaam.
3) Our little Ruqayya had suffered, she longed to return to Medina
After Karbala, Kufa and then Shaam; she yearned for her sister Fatima
Oh little Ruqayya we miss you, you died as a captive in Shaam.
4) Oh uncle Abbas our defender, we were left without any protection
Your courage and strength would have saved us from the tyrants who imposed affliction
But the enemies brutally killed you, we were prisoners here in Shaam.
5) Oh my courageous aunty Zainab, the religion of Islam was woken
Your sermons brought tears to the people, because of the words that were spoken
Oh Rasulullah if you could only listen to the way she spoke in Shaam.
6) Our beloved fourth Imaam Sajjad we pray you take this as a token
From the love in our hearts for you Imaam, these letters and words have been written
Oh Bibi Zainab and Ruqayya invite us to meet you in Shaam.